Quinoa upma/ Vegetable quinoa upma is a very healthy upma made with quinoa a super nutritious grain and veggies. Quinoa upma is easy to whip up on busy mornings as breakfast or as lunchbox recipe. This instant and yummy upma has a nutty/ crunchy texture of both quinoa and vegetables with a taste similar to regular upma but packed in its own taste. This simple upma demands basic ingredients that we regularly use in upma preparation making it super easy for beginners too. A simple chutney or pickle will taste great with this quinoa upma. So lets get to the making of quinoa upma!
- Quinoa- 1 cup
- Water – 1 ¼ cup
- Onion- 1 (small)
- Green chilli- 1
- Ginger- ½ tsp (chopped)
- Carrot- 1 (small)
- Beans- 8
- Green peas- ¼ cup
- Mustard seeds- ½ tsp
- Urad dal- 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – a spring
- Oil- 1 tsp
* 1 cup = 160 ml
How to make Vegetable quinoa upma with step by step images
- Wash quinoa in water and keep it aside.
- Slice onions thin, chop beans, carrot, green chilli and ginger finely. Keep the veggies aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, when it splutters add urad dal when it turns golden brown add curry leaves, sliced onion, chopped green chilli and ginger. Saute well.
- When onions look translucent add the chopped veggies and green peas. Saute well so that the veggies are little roasted. Now add 1 ¼ cup water and salt to veggies. Mix well.
- When water starts boiling add washed quinoa and mix well. Cover and cook in medium flame. It took around 20 minutes for the upma to get cooked in medium flame.
- So when quinoa and veggies look cooked (when quinoa has a small white tail it means quinoa is cooked) put off the flame and serve it hot with chutney or pickle!