Quinoa halwa is a very delicious and healthy halwa which I think most if us haven’t heard of or has ever tasted it. Me and my mom have discussed a lot regarding the aroma of qunioa and khas khas being the same when ground into paste, and those talks popped in the making such a different halwa. My mom makes excellent khas khas halwa which I haven’t made all these years, but tried to copy the same recipe with quinoa and I should say it turned out so great. Quinoa halwa has its own taste and not to forget its own flavors, aroma and beautiful subtle color which I dint interrupt with any flavoring or coloring. It was pretty simple to make but got a little tricky while stirring it as the process was too quick and I dint expect that. Quinoa halwa requires just few ingredients in its making, and I reduced the amount of ghee very much which can be added if the halwa needs it. Also I added little milk in the recipe to give it a rich taste which can be skipped as well. Over all it was a toothsome recipe and as per my wish I am posting this unique halwa recipe for this HOLI! So lets get to the making!
- White quinoa – 1 cup
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Milk – ¼ cup
- Ghee – 5 tbsp
- Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
Ingredients For garnish
- Almond – 1 (silvered)
- Saffron strand – few
* 1 cup = 160 ml
How to make easy quinoa halwa with step by step images
- Wash and soak quinoa in water for 3 to 4 hours. ( I soaked for 4 hours)
- Drain the water and add the quinoa in a blender. Grind it into a fine paste. (I added just 2 tbsp water while grinding) Transfer the ground mixture to a bowl.
- Now heat 2 tbsp ghee in a non stick pan. Add the ground quinoa paste and stir it continuously to form a crumbled sticky mixture with slight change in color. While stirring add ¼ cup milk gradually. It took around 3 to 4 minutes for me.
- When you see the crumbled mixture you will get nice cooked aroma as well along with it at that stage add sugar and cardamom powder. Mix well and and the mixture will start to loosen a little.
- Now add ghee to it and mix well, now you will be able to get nice aromatic quinoa halwa cooked in ghee. Put off the flame and garnish it with sliced almonds and saffron strands. Serve it!